Become an Advocate
Your Voice Counts!
An ALS Association Advocate is a foot soldier in the battle to defeat ALS. An ALS Association Advocate is someone who is passionate about getting involved with government at all levels to draw awareness and resources to the people affected by this disease. An ALS Association Advocate is someone who is willing step outside of their comfort zone to effect real change in the way our government responds to the needs of the ALS community. Even if you aren't a friend relative, supporter or business associate of a legislator, you can open doors through your outreach. As an ALS Association Advocate, you can help change the laws and policies that affect thousands of persons with ALS and their families.
- October 16, 2007: the House of Representatives passed The ALS Registry Act (H.R. 2295) by an overwhelming 411-3 vote.
- November 14, 2007: the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee unanimously passed the ALS Registry Act (S. 1382) by a bipartisan voice vote.
- December 19, 2007: Congress passed legislation to provide an additional $3 million in funding for the ALS registry pilot projects already underway at the CDC and represents a $2 million increase over last year.
- September 23, 2008: Veterans Administration grants benefits to all Vets with ALS
- September 24, 2008: Senate passes ALS Registry Act
- September 26, 2008: House sends Registry Act to President Bush
- October 3, 2008: $5 million ALS Research Bill signed by President Bush
- October 10, 2008: ALS Registry Act signed by President Bush
- Fall 2009: Additional $6.0 million approved to further the ALS Registry, bringing total funding to date to $16 million
- Fall 2009: Congress approves $7.5 million for the ALS Research Program at DOD, a 50% increase over the previous year
- 2009: During the year, more than 2,000 military veterans with ALS, their families and survivors were awarded benefits totaling over $129 million
- 2009: More than $34 million in grant funding for two years awarded for ALS research through The Economic Stimulus Package